Thursday, January 5, 2012

German Chocolate Cake with Coconut Pecan Frosting

My husband, Nate, loves this stuff. I remember the first time I made it, I was up all night because I had 1, yes 1, round pan. So I would bake one until it cooled enough for me to remove it and then add the batter for the next. Needless to say once he found out how long I had been up to make it for him, he loved it that much more. So moral of this story is..... have 3 round pans. When I ice this I add some between the layers and then just pour the rest of the icing over the top so that it runs down the sides and looks irregular and beautiful. I have also made cupcake before from this and it made way too many so I suggest cutting the recipe in half and baking until a toothpick comes out clean (start checking about 15 minutes) Yummy!!!

German Chocolate Cake and Coconut Pecan Frosting
Cake
½ c. boiling water
4 oz. baking German chocolate
2 c. sugar
1 c. butter, softened
4 egg yolks
1 tsp. vanilla
¼ tsp. almond extract
2 ½ c. all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
1 c. buttermilk
4 egg whites, stiffly beaten
Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease 3 8-inch round pans and line the bottom of pans with parchment paper. Pour boiling water on chocolate, stirring until chocolate is melted; set aside and cool. Mix sugar and butter in a large mixing bowl until light and fluffy. Beat in egg yolks, one at a time. Beat in chocolate, vanilla, and almond on low speed. Mix in flour, baking soda and salt alternately with buttermilk, beating after each addition until batter is smooth. Fold in stiff egg whites. Divide the batter between the 3 greased and lined pans. Bake 35-40 minutes. Cool and top with Coconut Pecan Frosting
Coconut Pecan Frosting
1 c. sugar
½ c. butter
1 c evaporated milk
1 tsp. vanilla
3 egg yolks
1 1/3 c. flaked coconut
1 c. chopped pecans
Mix sugar, butter, milk, vanilla, and egg yolks in medium pot. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally until thick, about 12 minutes. Stir in coconut and pecans. Beat until spreading consistency.
Layer with frosting between layers and pour the rest over the top.

No comments:

Post a Comment