Sunday, January 1, 2012

The burned cookbook and Étouffée

My first attempt at blogging and my first recipe. Yeaaaa me.
For Christmas this year, I asked my 10 year old daughter, Skylar, to get me the “stuff” (3” 3 ring binder, separation tabs, and clear document covers) to put my cookbook back together.  I got it! Now the story of my cookbook…. I had a binder that housed all my recipes but during one of my cooking experiences I laid it on the stove and turned the wrong burner on. Eck! The back of the binder and a few of my recipes melted and burned. I was able to save the recipes and patch up the binder, but cosmetically it did not look good.  Now I’m retyping all my recipes and sharing them with you.
My first recipe for you…… Étouffée. I had my husband tell me what I should do first and he said by far it should be this.


 Étouffée

4 Tbsps. Butter
2 Tbsps. Creole Seasoning
1/2 c. chopped yellow onion
1/4 c. chopped celery
1/2 c. chopped green bell pepper
1/4 c. flour
3/4 c. chopped tomato
2 Tbsps. minced garlic
1 Tbsp. thyme
2 tsps. Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp. hot sauce
1/2 c. chopped green onion
1 c. water
1 beef bouillon
1 can tiny shrimp (reserve juice)
1 can crab meat (reserve juice)
cooked rice

Melt butter in a large pot. Sauté onions and celery until crisp-tender. Add flour and cook about 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Add creole seasoning, juice from shrimp and crab meat, water, and beef bouillon. Stir in tomatoes, bell pepper, and garlic. Add thyme, Worcestershire sauce, and cook about 20 minutes. Add shrimp, crab meat, and green onions. Cook for 5 minutes. Serve over cooked rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment