Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Restaurant Style Salsa


Salsa..... I love it.
I remember watching my uncle and cousin make a similar salsa when I was a kid. I had seen my cousin throw a Nilla wafer in the blender and my jaw dropped. What? A Nilla wafer doesn't belong in salsa. The next time I saw it made, I had to ask what happened to the wafer and sure enough it was done again. I later realized that it was just something to trip me up, but that was typical of them. :) My salsa does not include a wafer.
Also, my love of salsa grew while I was pregnant with my daughter and then again with my son. My biggest craving was a good restaurant style salsa and I was at the point of drinking it, but my husband would give me the look of "don't you dare, especially while we are out eating." I still have those cravings at times, but not near as bad.
This salsa recipe has been modified to my taste based off of a recipe that I found somewhere online. Obviously this is a very versatile recipe for changing based on your own tastes. Experiment and enjoy.
Salsa
1 large can crushed tomatoes
1 small can crushed tomatoes
1 small can whole stewed tomatoes
3 tomatoes, skinned and chopped
1 medium white onion, chopped
½ medium yellow onion, chopped
½ medium red onion, chopped
1 jalapeno with seeds, chopped
2 jalapenos without seeds, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp. cumin
1 ½ Tbsp. cayenne pepper
1 tsp. dried cilantro
1 ½ tsp. salt
½ tsp. black pepper
Juice of ½ lemon
3 Tbsps. fresh parsley, chopped
Add all ingredients to a large pot but the lemon juice and parsley. Cook for 30 minutes. Use and immersion blender to blend to the consistency desired. Add lemon juice and parsley and chill.

No comments:

Post a Comment